In a Jacobean oak cabinet with two
folding doors. In England, these models were called "smoker's
cabinet". The radio has an ebony faceplate and
made of Bakelite and ebonite. This set is
older than the model depicted in the book "Radio! Radio!".
That model has only two rheostats, an on/off switch in
place of the middle rheostat and a switch in place of
the two phone jacks. The Chakophone logo is in a
different position on the front.
The upper row of knobs are
filament current rheostats. The current of the three
valves can be regulated individually. The position switch
in the middle can be used to select a tap of the wavelength coil. At the bottom left, a variometer gain
control, and at the right a tuning knob with fine
tuning. Two telephone jacks are situated below the
position switch. These can be used to listen with two or three
valves at will. The 90 volt HT battery and the grid bias
battery are located in the lower compartment.
All terminals are on the back of the cabinet.
The valves (detector + two LF) were probably a PM1 and
two PM2s, but in 1925 they may also have been older
valves. In advertisements a somewhat smaller valve can
be seen in the middle.
Wave range is 250-2000 meters (medium wave and
The cabinet was
made by furniture restorer Ruben Spelbos in Utrecht.
The original price of the receiver
in 1925 was
£14 2 9 (complete, without loudspeaker). The Marconi
royalty was £1 16 6. A mahogany cabinet was £ 1 extra. In 1926
the radio was sold for £ 11 17 6. (Complete, with
Amplion horn loudspeaker £ 18 10 0).