Home
Radios
  De Tijdgeest/Airvoice
    Airvoice radios
Loudspeakers
Other items
Valves
Nostalgia
Links
For sale

 
Radio-Technisch Bureau "De Tijdgeest" was founded in 1924 in Amsterdam. The address was Egelantiersstraat 246-252. Managing director was J.G.N. Eweg, who had runned a diamond-cutting factory at the same address since 1904.
In 1924, Eweg also owned "Het Radio Huis" (later "Centraal Radio Huis"), Damrak 17, in Amsterdam, a shop that sold radio's as well as binoculars, photo and film cameras.
In the period after it was founded, the company tried to find sales representatives or agents for the nationwide marketing of their receivers. "Radio shops, Electro technicians, Bicycle sellers and individuals with many relations", were asked to respond. Gebr. Grit, Lage der A 9a in Groningen responded and became the representative for the three northern provinces: Groningen, Friesland and Drenthe.
The picture shows the small factory in Egelantiersstraat 248-252 (in the middle of the picture) at the end of the forties. At that time the envelope factory of P.J. Brancart en Zonen was housed there .
In May 1925 the company first used the brand name "Airvoice" in an advertisement. The names Radio-Technisch Bureau "De Tijdgeest" and "N.V. Airvoice Radio" were both used in 1925.
The company was present at the International Radio Exhibition  I.R.T.A. in Amsterdam, in September 1925.
In January 1926 the company asked for a deferred payment plan, and an administrator, Mr F.W.C. Oldewelt, was appointed.
On the 21st of February 1927 the Military Hospital in Utrecht was presented with a radio installation: a 5-valve Airvoice receiver, together with 3 loudspeakers and 35 head sets. Contributions by the military and the general public made this possible.
In an advertisement in the newspaper Leeuwarder Courant of March 4th, 1927, Airvoice tried to deny the rumours that there were problems with Airvoice: "A recently announced auction may have implied that production of AIRVOICE RECEIVERS has stopped. This is absolutely not true!! RADIO-AIRVOICE-RECEIVERS are the best and will be produced by us as before.", it says.
The last advertisements found are for model D02 at the end of 1927.
In June 1928 the company asked for a renewal of the deferred payment plan. On the 25th of June, the court agreed on a new period of one and a half years, starting on July 11th. In the beginning of 1929, Airvoice radios were still being produced, but later that year Eweg started Multivox Radio. The Centraal Radio Huis went into liquidation in 1931.
Staff of radio shop "Het Radio Huis", Damrak 17, in 1924. An Airvoice radio is visible in the middle of the shop window.
Bookmark from "Costa's Handels-Vakadresboek van Nederland voor de radio-industrie en den handel in radio-artikelen 1926-1927"
Stand of Airvoice Radio at the IRTA radio exhibition in Amsterdam, 1926

This page was last edited on 03.12.2016