Stewart-Warner Corp. was
founded in Chicago in 1905. The name was then Stewart
and Clark Co.
and the company made car parts, particularly
In 1912 the company merged with the Alemite Co. and with
Warner Instrument Co.
The company emerged as Stewart-Warner Speedometer Corp.
Later, the name was changed to Stewart Warner Instrument Co.
The firm had a huge
factory on Diversey Parkway in Chicago.
In 1925 they began manufacturing radios.
To support its radio peoducts, the O & T Tube Factory in
New York was bought, the original creators of Silvertone
However, this branch was not very successful. The production of radios went a lot better.
After a conflict with RCA over patent infringement, the company
started with a RCA license in 1927.
Occasionally the company suffered from
overproduction and excess business inventories were sold
at low prices. However, losses were offset by good current production of auto
In addition to radios, televisions and auto parts,
Stewart-Warner also made refrigerators for a while.
The company still makes auto parts as
part of Maxima Technologies;
radio production ceased in 1954.
Deze pagina is voor het laatst bijgewerkt op
zaterdag 11 februari 2017