Johnson & Phillips
Ltd.was founded in 1875. The
company started as a cable factory "Victoria
Works" in Charlton in South East London.In
addition to cables and switchgear for high
voltages, the company also made machines for
making cables and equipment in the field of
telegraphy and telephony.
After the death of
Phillips in 1893, Johnson took over the
management of the company.Due to
the increasing number of electrical applications
around the turn of the century, the company grew
First World War Johnson & Phillips, among
others, made the Mark III* Short Wave Tuner
developed by Marconi's Wireless Telegraph
After WWI, the
company started setting up distribution networks
for electricity in England.
In 1944 the company was active
in the construction of the "Pluto" pipeline to
France, which was used for the supply of petrol
to the Allied troops.
The company was
taken over several times, but still exists.