In the year 1910,
department store A.W. Gamage, Holborn began supplying
complete wireless telegraphy sets, to supplement their
range of component parts which had been introduced in
1908 to enable the amateur to make up his own equipment.
The department store of Arthur Walter Gamage (started in
1878) was one of the few concerns catering
specially for the amateur experimenter and all their
wireless equipment was made for them by Ward &
Goldstone Ltd. of Pendleton, Manchester.
Because of the piecemeal expansion, his
department store ended up as a maze of
rooms, steps, passages and ramps which
Gamage now called the People's Popular
Emporium. Children and adults alike
experienced something of an adventure as
they wandered through the warren in
search of bargains. The annual "Christmas
Bazaars" were very popular. It offered a very
wide selection of goods, including
haberdashery, furniture, motorbikes, sporting goods,
gardening supplies and utensils, camping
equipment and clothing.
premises closed in March
1972. The frontage on
Holborn that was Gamages
is now occupied by a W H
Smith stationery store.