Federal Telephone & Telegraph Co. started as
Federal Telegraph, at the end of the 19th century.
The company was based in Palo Alto, California. Federal
began buying smaller telephone companies, including
several on the east coast of America. At the
beginning of the twentieth century, Century Telephone
Construction Company, based in Buffalo, New York, was
one of these smaller companies that merged with the
1909, the name of Federal was changed to Federal
Telephone and Telegraph Co.
head office in Buffalo, New York in 1919
The headquarters of the company came to
Buffalo, New York, as did a production facility that
produced telephone, telegraph and radio equipment and
was led by B.G. Hubbell.
FTC's chief engineer was Frederick
Kolster, the inventor of the directional loop antenna.
In the mid-twenties FTC built consumer radios under the
brand name "Kolster".
Federal used the brand name "Ortho-sonic".
Mackay Radio & Telegraph Company had close ties with FTC
and all early Mackay
maritime radio equipment was built by FTC.
When Mackay was bought by ITT in 1928, it was not long
before FTC was added to the growing list of companies
owned or controlled by ITT.The
purchase took place around 1931 and at the same time FTC
moved to New Jersey.
In New Jersey, FTC continued to build
maritime radio equipment, mostly for Mackay Radio.
Around 1940, the name of Federal
Telegraph Company was changed to Federal Telephone &
Radio Corporation. Radio production for the consumer
market continued until the beginning of the 1950s.