one of the earliest gramophonecompanies
in the United Kingdom. It started at the beginning of
the 20th century, as a subsidiary of the American company
founded in 1888. It manufactured and sold gramophones and
The first offices were at
City Road in London. In 1913 the company moved to
102-108 Clerkenwell Road, London, E.C. 1, later called
Columbia Phonograph went into receivership and was
bought by its British subsidiary in 1925. On November
30, 1931, Columbia Graphophone Co. merged with its
arch-rival The Gramophone Co. to form the legendary
British company EMI (Electric and Musical Industries).
middle of the twenties until about 1936 the company also
produced radios and radio-gramophones using the brand name "Columbia
from the year 1931 upwards were made by Marconi.
Columbia Graphophone Company
showroom, 102-108, Clerkenwell Road, London, ± 1931.