Home
Radios
  Bang & Olufsen
  Bekius
  Belgian battery radio
  Braun
  Larsen de Breij & Co
  Brownie Wireless
  Bush
  Cadène
  Columbia Graphophone
  Cossor
  Curry
  Ducretet
  Dyna
  Eagle Engineering Co.
  Ekco
  Emerson
  Emud
  English console radio
  Erres
  Fada
  Gamage
  Gambrell
  General Electric
  Grammont
  Grundig
  Haagsche Radio
  Onderneming
  Havened
  Van der Heem &
  Bloemsma
  L'Indiscret
  Kennedy
  Larret
  Loewe Radio
  Lorenz
   DKE38
  Marconi
  Master's Art
  Mende
  Mildé-Bayard
  Monarch (France)
  NSF
  Het Oosterpark
  Orion
  Péricaud
  Philips
  Pye
  Radialva
  Radio-Compagnie
  Amsterdam
  Radio Instruments
  Radio Lucien Lévy
  RCA
  Rega
  SBR
  Schaleco
  Seibt
  SFR
  Soviet Union
  Telefunken      
  Telegrafia
  Telfa
  Tesla
  TinyTone
  De Tijdgeest/Airvoice
  Ultra Electric
  Unigro
  United Engine Co.
  Varadyne
  VEF
  Verwer Radiobouw
  Videoton
  Waldorp
  Weco
  Westinghouse
  Zenith
Loudspeakers
Other items
Valves
Nostalgia
Links
For sale

 
The company Lorenz exists since 1870. In that year Carl Lorenz started a mechanical workshop in Berlin. In 1880 a company named Telegraphenbauanstalt, Fabrik für elektrisches Licht, elektrische Eisenbahnen, Kunst und Industrie was founded.

Company logo
 
In 1935 Lorenz patents the ferrite sounding antenna; this invention is widely used in radios later on. In 1937 Lorenz starts producing radio valves again for the German Army.
In 1938 the production of DKE38 People's Receivers starts, after Lorenz has won the competition for a cheap radio.
In 1940 Lorenz takes over company G. Schaub Apparatebau GmbH.
After the war Lorenz starts anew and in 1948 the company headquarters move from Berlin to Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen. There are several braches by that time: Berlin-Tempelhof (wireless- and broadcasting technique), Esslingen (valves), Landshut (electrical machines, broadcasting equipment and signal technique), Pforzheim I (development laboratory and model workshop for different forms of small-scale transmitting equipment), Pforzheim II (telex factory) and Schaub Pforzheim (radio- and television receivers). In the eastern part of Germany the production of radios goes on for some time, but ceases in 1947.
In the beginning of the fifties, Lorenz starts making wire recorders, mostly integrated into radios. In 1954 the brand name of radios and televisions is changed to Schaub-Lorenz. In 1958 Lorenz teams up with Standard Elektrik AG as Standard Elektrik Lorenz AG (SEL). In 1961 the company also becomes the major shareholder of radio firm Graetz.
In 1975 some sectors experience losses and Alcatel, that has the majority of shares, moves part of the activities to Nokia in the 1980's. Nokia still uses the brand names Schaub-Lorenz and Graez.
After his death in 1890 the company was bought by textile salesman Robert Held. After the takeover of the company Telegraphen-Bauanstalt C.F. Lewert in 1906, the name of the firm was changed in C. Lorenz A.G. From that time on the company was allowed to use the Poulsen arc transmitter system. In order to optimise these activities a wireless telegraphy department was formed.
In 1920 Lorenz  started the first radio broadcasting in Germany with a Lorenz-Poulsen-transmitter. Lorenz also gives amateurs and employees the possibility to receive and transmit.
In 1923 the first receiver is introduced: the Liebhaber-Empfänger.
In 1924 Robert Held dies. The company employs more than 3000 worker and is active in a number of fields. In 1929 Lorenz makes radios for Philips for a short while, but has to stop in 1930, because of a conflict with Telefunken. In the same year company Tefag is taken over. The brand name Tefag is used until the Second World War. Valve making stops for a while in 1932.

This page was last edited on 06.04.2014